Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Late NYC music mogul left $1.5m fortune to doorman and driver

A MILLIONAIRE New York music mogul, lonely after his wife dumped him, repaid two faithful workers who gave him a shoulder to cry on - by making them rich after his death.

"I don't know what to do exactly with the money, but one thing I know for sure - every year, I'm going to bring the guy some flowers at his grave," chauffeur Jean Laborde, who received $1 million, or 10 per cent, from boss Alan Meltzer's $10 million estate, said.

"He was always joking. He never looked down on anybody,'' Mr Laborde, a 54-year-old father of five from Irvington, New Jersey, said.

"He was such a nice guy. He left me money, but it's not a good deal for me because it means he's no longer here.''

Doorman Chamil Demiraj of Midwood, Brooklyn, received about $500,000 from Meltzer's will.

"I appreciate it," Mr Demiraj said.

"He was a generous guy. He was a really good friend of mine, and I was a good friend of his. It's a surprise. Peace and rest to him. That's all I can say."

Mr Meltzer, 67, the colourful former head of the New York-based Wind-Up Records and a celebrity high-stakes poker player, died on Halloween, about a year after he and his wife, Diana, divorced after at least 13 years together.

The split denied his ex at least a guaranteed 33 per cent of his estate.

"He can leave it to whoever he wants to," she said.

"I'm doing fine. I could care less.

"If he wants to give it to the bums, he can give it to the bums."

Read more at the New York Post.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More